After you’ve set your business online or built your website, you will naturally want to improve your conversion rate. You need to attract targeted traffic in order to achieve financial success and to increase your popularity. The Alexa ranking system helps you do just that.
What is the Alexa ranking system?
Alexa traffic registers your ranking both on a global scale and for every country where your site has some trackable popularity. So, it has a geographic dimension, which is great because you can analyze your authority in the regions that interest you. How it works? It is based on the traffic data provided by users in Alexa’s global data panel over a period of 3 months. So, a site’s ranking is based on a combination measure of Unique Visitors and Pageviews. The rankings are updated daily. The single problem is only people who have installed the Alexa toolbar count, so the pageviews are equal to the total number of Alexa user URL requests for a site. If the same user requests the same URL during the same day for a site, it is counted as a pageview. The Alexa traffic system ranks #1 the site with the highest combination and then the numbers go down. According to Netcraft Web Server Survey from November 2013, there were over 191 million distinct active sites, so if you have a site with an Alexa Traffic Rank of less than 1.920.000, your site is within the top 15 of all websites by traffic volume.
Why is this important?
How to improve your Alexa traffic ranking?
It’s not that hard to boost your traffic ranking, if you follow these simple steps:
- Download and install the Alexa toolbar
- Surf your site and analyze its ranking
- Place the Alexa widget on your Website (this is great for visitors who want to check out your ranking.)
- Optimize your site for Alexa related keywords
- Promote the Alexa toolbar to visitors. Tell them to download and install it.
- Use Alexa redirect. This means placing http://redirect.alexa.com/redirect? in front of your Website’s URL. Thus, Alexa will even take into consideration clicks on redirected links even if the visitor does not have the Alexa toolbar.
- Whenever you post on webmaster forums, include your site’s URL in your signature. It is very likely that most webmasters have the toolbar installed, and there’s a great probability that they’ll visit your site.
- You can also read 5 Creative Ways to Drive More Traffic to Your Blog Posts
So this is how you can improve your Alexa traffic ranking. Remember: you can have the best site ever, but if no-one sees it, it’s all a waste!