Facebook is still an important social media platform. It acts like a community. If you have a business, you need to have a fan page for it. And for that page to have a purpose, you need to get people to like it. But how do you do that? And first of all, why do you need likes?
[ Photo credits: mkhmarketing’s Flickr ]
Why do Facebook likes matter?
A Facebook page that has plenty of likes means that people are interested in that company’s activity on social media, where the discussions are more informal. Also, when your page has many likes, your website ranks higher in Google’s search results. This means that people will find you easier when they are searching for keywords you’re using.
As Jeff Bullas said, “Growing your Facebook likes are social media’s version of building the traditional email subscribers list”.
Should I worry because my page doesn’t have that many likes?
Now that you’re reading this article, no. The thing is that you should take advantage of this great platform. Though it seems kind of easy, it’s not enough to just create a page and start posting content. It does not work like that.
How to increase your Facebook likes
- Facebook Ads. This is by far the easiest and the simplest way to get people to like your page. This a great method, because it gives you visibility, which is the most important thing when you first create a page. Its advantage is that it also allows you to target certain demographics, people with specific interests, or friends of your fans.
- Add social plugin buttons to your website. I find it really annoying when I enter a website I like, but I can’t find the Like button or when there’s no Like button for articles. If for some reason I can’t find these buttons, I will assume that you don’t have a Facebook page, and that’s really bad for you.
- Invite your friends to like your page. It’s like Robert Rydefalk said in an article: “Friends are like underpants. Some snap under pressure, some are a little twisted, but some will give you support”. They will most likely be the first persons to like your page. After this, you can start promoting your website, since those likes you managed to get so far will give you credibility.
- Tag other Facebook pages in your posts. If you make a post about company X, and it happens that the company also has a page, make sure to tag them. That way, there’s a good chance that company will like your page, and you can draw followers from theirs.
- Post exclusive deals. You want to make your followers feel special. Show them that they are part of a select group of people. They will appreciate it, and will come back for more.
- Post valuable content. Despite all of these things above, it’s all in vain if your content is not good. Make sure to post interesting information. You can also check out what other interests your followers have. It will give you much more ideas on what you should post. Make sure you include a photo, and a call to action.
How to keep your likes coming
You job doesn’t end here. There is no limit as to how many followers you should have. The key is to keep the number on the increase, and the page active. How do you do that?
Look at the statistics of your Facebook page to see who are the people that like your page, and interact on it. Those are the people that are the most valuable to you. You can also ask your followers questions, to see what they’d like to see from you.
If you’re not quite a social media savvy, Squirrly’s content services include Facebook posts, too. We create inspiring posts, which aim to engage your audience. The posts will usually have 1-2 sentences, and a picture too, which is copyright free. Let us do the work, while you enjoy the results.
Does your business have a Facebook page? What are your methods for getting likes?