Everybody talks about [here’s the proof 😛] on page seo, how awesome writing good content is, yadda yadda. In case you’ve been following the topic you also see that even squirrly people who go ahead and build plugins and other seo software for on page seo, have certain guidelines that they give you.
Here’s a handy guide we though we should share with you to keep in mind when you want to be awesome at on page seo.
It Should come in really handy.
On page SEO or search engine optimization is guaranteeing that your website is as search engine compatible as possible. Your chances of receiving good results in the search engines are decreased when your website isn’t optimized. Below are speedy suggestions for having good on page SEO:
1) Be certain that all of your web pages can be indexed by search engines – be certain that each one has at least one link from somewhere on your site.
2) Be certain that you have unique content on every page.
Upgrade Your WordPress
Become Super Competitive Now!
Overtake your competitors with today's free Upgrade!
3) Be certain to correctly arrange your meta-tags – your page title tags and description tags need to identify the content of your different web pages. Page title tags should be less than 68 characters, and the description tags should be in more detail but with less than 148 characters.
4) Be certain the different headers on your web pages are labeled using H tags.
5) Be certain that your web page URLs are SEO compatible by using mod re-write for Linux and Apache hosting or using IIS direct for Windows. For best results develop the URLs to accurately describe your content, i.e. use domain.com/blue-widgets.php rather than using something like domain.com/product.php?cat=146. Use hyphens or underscores to separate words in the URLs.
6) Be certain to complete the links within your site, i.e. when linking to the blue widgets page, link to domain.com/blue-widgets.php rather than to only blue-widgets.php.
7) Be certain to use descriptive URLs for your images, i.e. use blue-widget.jpg rather than a group of numbers and/or letters .jpg.
8) Be certain to label all of your images with descriptive alt.attributes.
9) Be certain to optimally use anchor text links within your content – if you are using a page about blue widgets, use the phrase “blue widgets” in the text that links to it.
10) Be certain that there is only one version of your site – 301.redirect all non www.URLs to the www.ones or vice versa.
11) Be certain that there is only a single version of your homepage – 301 redirect the index or default page back to domain.com
12) For websites which you don’t trust, which you think might be using spamming techniques or which you don’t want to assist in the search engines, use the rel=”nofollow” tag.
13) Be certain that your code is valid. There are situations in which bad code can cause search engines to lose their ability to read a page correctly. You can use the W3C.validator to be sure of your markup.
By following these guidelines you can make excellent progress towards good on page SEO and towards good rankings in the search engines.